Professor Peacock is an expert in physical oceanography and flow transport. His research will be important for assessing the environmental impact of deep-sea mining and for the development of regulations by the International Seabed Authority (ISA). The IPL is working with Professor Peacock to determine the policy implications of his research and to hold a workshop, convening scientists and policy makers, to determine how the research community can address deep-sea mining policy issues.
- Research background information on U.S. involvement and attitude towards ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)
- Provide introductions to State Department staff
- Draft and edit any policy documents
- Assist in developing a conference between academics and policy makers
- Provide logistical support